Monetary gifts to the University Library are much appreciated and needed.
If you are considering a gift, please contact University Librarian John Tombarge at (540) 458-8134 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
He will work with you to select subject designations (if any) and the wording of the gift plate. In addition, Mr. Tombarge will contact the University's Development Office, which will prepare an acknowledgment and receipt of gift, and credit the gift to the University Library's account.
The University Library is fortunate to have a number of endowments and funds in support of the Library's mission. They are listed below in alphabetical order. Each item purchased is provided with a bookplate in the fund's name.
The Anne and Edgar Basse Jr. Endowment was created in 1988 to support the varied activities of the University's special collections and archival programs in the Leyburn Library. Mr. Basse is an alumnus of the Class of 1939.
The Adrian L. Bendheim Jr. Physics Library Fund was established in 1963 by Mr. and Mrs. Adrian L. Bendheim Sr., family and friends as a memorial to this honored alumnus of the Class of 1942.
The John G. Boatwright '15 Endowment was made in memory of his wife, Mary Archer Glass Boatwright, and their son, Dr. Robert M. Boatwright, in 1981 for endowment purposes.
The John Roser Bestor '82 Library Endowment was established by Mrs. Nancy Bestor in 1984 in memory of her son. Additional gifts have been made by other family members and friends. The endowment's purpose is to support library acquisitions in history, particularly African and Indian subcontinent history.
The Victor Roger Bond '56 Library Endowment was established in 1999 by his two sons, Victor Scott Bond and Brett Neal Bond, in honor of their father. The purpose of this fund is to support the Washington and Lee undergraduate library's purchase of books and media related to sciences and engineering. Victor Roger Bond was devoted to furthering the nation's space exploration program through his work and teaching, spanning four decades at NASA, supporting companies and universities. His work on the Apollo guidance programs contributed significantly to our country landing men on the moon and safely returning them. Victor's family and friends also made substantial contributions to the fund.
The Irving B. (Buck) Bricken Library Endowment was established in 2000 through the will of Mr. Bricken to provide funding for the general operations of the University's library system and the acquisition of materials and equipment.
The William Buice Endowment for Early English Books Online Subscription Renewal was established by William Buice '61 to provide yearly licensure for Leyburn Library to allow students and faculty internet access to over 125,000 texts printed in England between 1475 and 1700.
Class of 1941/William "Buck" Buchanan Memorial Library Endowment was established in 1991 by the class in celebration of its 50th reunion. The purpose of the fund is to support the library acquisition program. In 2003, the name of the fund was changed from The Class of 1941 Library Endowment Fund to its current name in memory of William "Buck" Buchanan. Buck was a member of the Class of 1941 and a distinguished and highly respected member of the Washington and Lee University politics faculty from 1966 until his death in 2003.
The Lois Ferguson and Fred Carrington Cole Endowment was established in 1991 by Dr. and Mrs. Milton Colvin to honor Fred Cole, who served as president of the University from 1959 to 1967. The fund supports the University library. Additional gifts for this purpose have been made by family and friends of Dr. Cole.
The Ollinger and Marjorie Burford Crenshaw fund was generously established in 1994 by Mr. and Mrs. Albert B. Crenshaw, in honor of his parents, to support library acquisitions of history books, documents, manuscripts, and memorabilia.
The Alice Dean Endowment was generously provided by the estate of Alice M. Dean in 1973 to support library acquisitions.
The Graybeal-Gowen Library Acquisitions Fund was established in 2007 by James T. Graybeal '49A '51L and his wife, Priscilla G. Graybeal, in memory of her father Howerton Gowen '30A. The Graybeal Library Acquisitions Fund, a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee, will purchase needed books and other information resources for the University Libraries as determined by the University Librarian.
The Barbra B. and Hal F. Higginbotham Library Endowment was initiated in 1986 to provide financial support for the library program, particularly in the area of acquisitions. Hal F. Higginbotham, Class of 1968, and his wife, Barbra, are residents of New York City.
The Johnston Fund was generously established by Henry P. Johnston, Sr. in 1982 in memory of his son, 1st Lieutenant Henry P. Johnston, Jr., USAF.
The Christoph Keller Jr. '39 Library Endowment for Philosophy and Religion was established in 1996 by the estate of the Right Reverend Christoph Keller Jr., retired Episcopal bishop of Arkansas. The endowment's purpose is to assist the Leyburn Library with the acquisition of texts for students and faculty in the Departments of Philosophy and Religion.
The James Graham Leyburn Library Endowment was established in 1996 by Miss Douglass Harlan, cousin of Washington and Lee's former Dean James Graham Leyburn. The endowment is to be used to help support the acquisitions program of the James Graham Leyburn Library.
The Peyton May Endowment was established in 1984 through the estate of W. Peyton May, grandfather of Peyton Via '76, to be used for the purchase of books for the library.
The Paul D. Pickens '17 Fund was bequeathed by the estate of Paul D. Pickens as a trust held by others to support the undergraduate library specifically for the purchase of book subscriptions and software.
The McCrum Palmer Fund was generously created in 1975 by Foster McCrum Palmer ’34 in commemoration of three McCrum brothers who were born in Juniata County, Pennsylvania in the first half of the 19th century, their children and grandchildren who have been associated with Washington and Lee and the town of Lexington, and other members of the donor’s immediate family.
The A. Stevens Miles Library Endowment was established in 1991 by Mr. and Mrs. A. Stevens Miles of Louisville, Kentucky, to provide for the support and maintenance of the Leyburn Library. Mr. Miles, a member of the Class of 1951, is the former chairman and chief executive officer of the First Kentucky National Corporation. He was elected Rector of the University's Board of Trustees in 1990.
The Mollere-Oliver Library Fund was established in 1994 by Phillip D. Mollere '66 of New Orleans, Louisiana. The endowment was created to enhance the University's collection, preservation, and archiving of articles related to Robert E. Lee and to the history of the Shenandoah Valley. In addition, the fund may be used to provide support for library exhibits and for publishing certain collection guides with preference for historical pieces pertaining to Robert E. Lee and the Shenandoah Valley.
The Elizabeth Gray and Marvin Banks Perry Memorial Fund was established in 1952 by gifts from Marvin B. Perry, Jr. and his father, originally as a memorial to his mother with his father added in 1979. Marvin Perry, Jr. taught English at Washington and Lee for many years before serving as president of Goucher College and then Agnes Scott College. Over the years Perry and his wife, Ellen Gilliam Perry added gifts to build the fund until it was completed via an estate gift following the death of Ellen Perry in 2008. The endowment supports acquisitions for Leyburn Library with a preference for books in English and American Literature. The fund is administered by the University Librarian or her/his designee.
The Herbert Pollack Library Endowment. Dr. Herbert Pollack, Class of 1925, in recognition of the importance of a library to an academic institution, made provision in his estate plan to create an endowment to support the James G. Leyburn Library. The purpose of this endowment is to provide funding to support the introduction of new systems and services to keep pace with changing technology and campus needs. Administration of this endowment is the responsibility of Washington and Lee University in accordance with University policy.
The Paul Ayres Rockwell Library Endowment was established in 1986 by Dr. W.J. Kenneth Rockwell '52 in memory of his father Paul Ayres Rockwell '12. Paul Rockwell was a veteran of three wars and historian for the French Foreign Legion's famed Lafayette Escadrille. The fund supports library acquisitions whose subject matter relates particularly to France and the eastern United States.
The Robert W. Root '42 Endowment was established in 1991 to support an annual lecture series on the mind. Guest speakers are selected on a rotating basis by the departments of psychology, philosophy, and religion, as well as the cognitive science program. In addition, the fund supports library acquisitions in the field of parapsychology and related studies.
The Mary P. Ross Library Endowment was established in 2000 through the estate of Mrs. Mary P. Ross, wife of the late Charles H. Ross '23. The endowment's purpose is to support the acquisition of books and periodicals for the University Library.
The Marjorie O. Williams Endowment for Library Acquisitions was created in 1993 by a gift from Mrs. Williams' husband, Ernest Williams II, Class of 1938, and herself. The fund is intended to strengthen the holdings of the Leyburn Library.